What's New in EndNote 4?
Developer(s): Clarivate Analytics | (previously ISI ResearchSoft - EN 4, 2000)
Initial release: Mac & Windows, released 6 March 2000.
Customize EndNote to Meet Your Research Needs!
With EndNote 4, gathering and maintaining bibliographic references has never been easier. The EndNote library can be customized to display exactly the information you need to view. Click-sort column headings for instant sorting, adjust column widths, even preview a formatted reference in hundreds of different bibliographic styles!
The EndNote Search interface has been enhanced to simplify the task of information gathering. With EndNote 4, searches can be saved and loaded at the click of a button. Conducting research on hundreds of online databases (e.g., PubMed, Library of Congress, and university library catalogs) has never been easier!
A Modern Tool for Today’s Researcher
EndNote 4 contains enhanced features to help streamline the research process. Shortcut/contextual menus, expanded drag and drop, and detailed Help screens make EndNote easier to use than ever before. EndNote’s new toolbars provide a seamless transition from the EndNote library to Internet data to your own research papers, as well as offering easy one-click access to all commonly used tasks. Both the Macintosh and Windows versions have been updated to provide you with a modern interface, consistent with the latest Mac and Windows operating systems.
Enhanced Data Management Tools
EndNote 4 offers you a host of new and improved features to save you time when managing your library of references.
• EndNote’s Term List feature has been improved to facilitate entering and maintaining data. Author names, journals, and keywords are automatically added to the Term List upon importing or manual entry. As you enter new references, EndNote suggests terms from these lists to facilitate the process. Pre-defined Journal Term Lists are provided for biomedicine, chemistry, and the humanities–complete with common abbreviations of journal names used in bibliographies.
• EndNote 4 includes enhanced duplicate detection, allowing you to customize the way EndNote identifies duplicates in your library.
• A new preferences window lets you customize your EndNote settings from one easy-to-access location.
• A new Manager window allows you to choose your favorite styles, filters, and connection files for easy access and to preview formatted styles.
Create Bibliographies With More Flexibility
EndNote 4 includes more than 30 new features that tackle even the trickiest of bibliographies in one step. Here is a look at some of the advanced bibliographic features EndNote 4 can handle with ease:
• Include numbered notes in reference lists (the Science style)
• Group multiple references under one bibliography number
• Create shortened forms of references in footnotes, including "Ibid." (e.g. The MLA style)
• Change capitalization of author names or title
• Add unique page numbers to citations in the text and footnotes
• Expanded options for citing anonymous works
• Hanging Indent option
• Omit author names when multiple cites by same author appear together
And EndNote 4 contains more than 500 bibliographic styles for medicine, biosciences, the humanities, social sciences, and dozens of other disciplines!
Other New Database Features Include:
• "Link To…" command ties EndNote records to files stored on hard drive
• "Move Field" command transfers information between EndNote fields
• 8 new reference types and fields, including 6 unused fields
• Save a copy of your library with a simple menu command
• Horizontal scroll bar for improved navigation in the Library window
• URLs in references appear as clickable hyperlinks